Updated update: Photographs of the house (hover over photos for description)
Google is your friend.
No. No 4027044.
1814 square feet farmhouse on 3/5ths of an acre — two car detached garage, workshop, garden shed — four bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, hardwood floors, period architectural details — elaborate rose gardens, many mature trees, privet hedges — tucked into the heart of Oak Grove
Kris found a house, we both fell in love with it immediately. We rushed to make an offer.
Our offer was first — and good — but a second offer came in today. With knowledge of our offer, the other buyers were able to outbid us.
We are sad at heart.
We just spent three whole days pouring every spare moment into this dream, and we came up short by the slimmest of margins.
Woe are we.
(Kris notes that we’re not really house shopping. This just happened to be the Perfect House, and it appeared unexpectedly. Please don’t tell us about the house for sale in your neighborhood.)
Kris and I sulked after hearing our offer wasn’t accepted. Denise and Shannon (and Ryan) were over — dining on Mac‘s seafood pasta — when we got the news. I’m afraid that for the rest of the evening our minds were elsewhere, and we were less than perfect hosts.
Last night and this morning, we talked and thought and talked some more. For different reasons, we came to the same conclusion: We really are ready to move, ready to live in a house that we truly love. We decided to look around.
We lay in bed for hours, reading real estate magazines, looking at web sites, trying to find a house that we loved as much. No dice. There’s nothing even close.
Still, we found a couple that we liked enough to drive by. We set out this afternoon to do just that.
We were winding our way through Gladstone, looking at houses, when Mary (our real estate broker) gave us a buzz.
“J.D.,” she said. “The first offer backed out. The house is yours if you still want it.”
We were in a state of shock. We told her we needed to talk about it.
“Do you still want it?” I asked Kris.
“Of course I still want it,” she said.
We called Mary back to accept the counteroffer. “There’s a complication,” she said. “The seller’s Realtor is expecting another offer. If you don’t sign the papers by the time she receives that offer, she’s legally bound to present it to the seller.”
We zoomed to Custom Box Service where we waited by the fax machine for the documents to arrive. We waited.
And they came. We signed them in a hurry and faxed them back.
Mary called us a while later. “I talked with the seller’s agent,” she said. “She confirmed that she’d received your signed paperwork without any further counters, and that the other offer had not yet come in.”
“Does that mean the house is ours?” asked Kris.
“That means the house is yours,” Mary said.
We’re giddy with excitement, but we still don’t know whether to believe it.
Right now, our closing date is June 15th. Anyone want buy our house?